Whatever difficulty, distress or confusion you experience in your life, making a decision to see a therapist about it is not always an easy process. It requires being moved by a heartfelt concern for your own well being and that of others close to you. It takes courage and motivation to act on that concern. With this in mind, I believe your efforts to find and contact a therapist are worthy of the utmost respect and thoughtfulness.
Counseling psychotherapy provides us with useful tools to deal with life in a more satisfying way. It can be very powerful and effective in enabling us to make important changes in our lives. I offer you a highly personalized counseling approach, integrating theories and techniques tailored to your specific issues and needs (see testimonials).
Don Waxman, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, works with individuals, couples, families, and groups in Petaluma, California. Don has over twenty-five years experience starting-up and managing private sector and non-profit businesses. He has worked for Hospice as a bereavement and end-of-life counselor, and in school settings with emotionally and behaviorally challenged teens and their families. Don chose to enter the field of counseling psychology after being involved in other careers, because as he says, “When I am working with clients I am challenged to be the best human being I can possibly be.”
Don collaborates with clients to help them cultivate a more intimate and compassionate connection to what they are experiencing in the moment. He believes therapeutic change can occur as soon as the therapeutic encounter begins, and that it happens in small, but potentially very significant steps. He is committed to proceeding at each client’s unique pace, integrating complementary theories and techniques to personalize and tailor his approach to meet each client’s needs.
Don has received specialized professional training in the following therapeutic modalities:
- Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples
- Collaborative Couples Therapy
- Psychobiological Couples Therapy
- Focusing Oriented Psychotherapy
- Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy
- Bowen Psycho-Physical Therapy
- Psychedelic Preparation, Integration and Harm Reduction
- Multidimensional Association for Psychedelic Studies – MAPS Training
- Ketamine Assisted Psychotherapy
- Integral Somatic Psychology
- The Hakomi Method of Experiential Psychotherapy
- Recreation of the Self
- Breath Work
- Somatic Experiencing
- Anger Management Group Therapy for Perpetrators of Domestic Violence
- Domestic Violence Victims Resources Training
- Hospice Training for End-of-Life Care and Bereavement